Sunday, March 25, 2012

Japanese Diet

As with all my previous posts, I've made the statement that I've only been here in Nagoya for so long (3 weeks), but these are the observations I've made.  I will revisit these in the future after I've been living here for a longer...

Regardless, I'd like to touch on the subject of Japanese Diet. For as healthy as these fuckers are, they definitely don't eat that way. I say this for multiple reasons. Instead of trying to approach this subject in a well-mannered organized way, you get my stream of conscious post.

Yes, each region of Japan eats different foods, but then again Nagoya is the 3rd or 4th largest city so I can make the assumption that this city makes up a decent portion of the population. With that said, these bastards never eat any vegetables! When I grocery shop I see old ladies buy bentos (pre-made lunches) and ramen... not fresh vegetables, fruit, or fish.  Further, the native food for Nagoya is miso and curry I think... so basically it's unhealthy food.

I don't eat out much since I'm poor; however, I am a pretty solid window shopper.  Also Japan loves to put plastic replicas of the food in the windows.  Let me tell you that I haven't seen many salads, vegetables, or fruits included in these plates.  The only thing you see is some breaded meat, sauce, rice, and other random items garnishing the meals.  I think it's a pretty pertinent point when foreigner guides for the city specifically mention restaurants where you CAN find salads.

So I'm left to believe that the Japanese are just blessed with amazing fucking genetics to live as long as they do with such shitty diets.  My body is withering away over here as I can never get a balanced diet.  I hear they don't actually eat much throughout the day as they are "too busy to eat." Oh, the Japanese also LOVE sweets.  There is yet another subtraction to a healthy diet.

Besides the amazing genetics, I'd say that the ridiculous amounts of walking helps keep them healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment